Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Would We Even Notice?

So I say to my soul,
    “Don’t be discouraged. Don’t be disturbed.
    For I know my God will break through for me.”
    Then I’ll have plenty of reasons to praise him all over again.
    Yes, he is my saving grace! -- Psalm 42:11, The Passion Translation

With everything that is going on in our world today -- the COVID pandemic, natural disasters, mayhem in Afghanistan, poverty and hunger, human trafficking, escalating crime, political corruption, and social unrest -- many of us are spending much time in prayer and doing what we can financially to help those in need.  Yet our prayers seem ineffective and our money insufficient to provide any meaningful relief. We might even wonder if God hears our prayers.  

Many of us are in constant prayer for God to remove COVID from our midst, to ease the tensions and bring peace to Afghanistan, to restore and rebuild lives and livelihoods that fires and hurricanes have destroyed, and to do away with all the evils in our world.  To what end?  If God were to miraculously and instantaneously remove the scourge of COVID -- something he is totally able to do -- would we even notice?  Would we acknowledge his hand in such a miracle and fall to our knees in worship of the one true God, or would we simply breathe a sigh of relief and go on our way, unchanged and unworthy of his great mercy?   

Lately, I have wondered how God would have us pray in response to all that is happening in our world.  Concerns for family, friends, and our fellow humans across the globe may be overwhelming to us, but they are not to God.  Perhaps prayer alone will never bring about the changes and solutions we so desperately long to see.  But what might God do if we pause our repetitious prayers and simply begin to worship and place our faith in him?  Would he even notice?  Somehow, I think he would.  In fact, I am convinced that worship is the key to touching his heart.  

God is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power at work in us (Ephesians 3:20).  He is worthy of our praise, even if we feel unworthy to offer it.  



Copyright © 2021 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

What Next?

“Even when I am old and  gray , do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next, your mighty acts to all who are to come.” ...