Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Validated -- Struggling with Approval Addiction

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God?  Or am I trying to please people?  If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.   Galatians 1:10 NIV

Approval.  Validation.  Gratitude.  These are things many of us seek, things I struggle with daily.  Even though as believers we long to follow God and live to bring him honor and glory, few of us would agree that man's approval means absolutely nothing to us. 

For years I have struggled with approval addiction.  As a devotional writer I want to know that the meditations I share are helping and making a difference in the lives of others.  How else can I measure that except by the number of Facebook likes or Twitter retweets I receive?  

How different would our lives be if we lived each day with God's approval as our goal and stopped believing the lie that man's approval is a valid measuring stick?  What if we spent less time seeking validation on social media and more time in prayer with the only One whose approval really matters?  God loves us lavishly (1 John 3:1) and wants us to come to him with our prayers, our complaints, and our joys.  

Lord, approval addiction is exhausting!  At the end of the day, when my work is done and I finally lay my head on the pillow, the only thing that truly matters is whether I pleased You with my thoughts, words, and deeds.  Help me be satisfied to seek approval from You alone and to trust that You are working in ways I cannot see.


 


Copyright © 2020-2021 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

What Next?

“Even when I am old and  gray , do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next, your mighty acts to all who are to come.” ...