Monday, July 31, 2017

The Death of Discontent

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:11-13, NIV).

Recently, after a much-needed rain brought relief from the oppressive heat of summer, I found myself surprisingly agitated by the fact that I was not out lying on a beach somewhere enjoying the cool breeze, and irritated by every little thing my husband said or did. Never mind that I had pleasant weather in which to run errands or a quiet porch where I could sit and read for a few minutes. Despite all the blessings that I was thankful for, I was cranky and couldn't quite figure out why.

Out of boredom and longing for a little more excitement in life, I turned to Facebook to see what my friends were up to. It was there that I discovered the source of my discontent -- in the posts about their new cars, vacations, and adventures. It was in looking at countless pictures of happy couples seemingly without a care in the world. The light went on! The demons of comparison and self-pity had been raining all over my parade for far too long and it was time to pull the plug on discontent. But how?

Just recognizing the source was a beginning. As silly, or as simple, as it sounds, I realized that for me the answer lies in disconnecting myself from social media, re-engaging with my spouse, and counting my blessings, one by one, over and over. It lies in realizing that not having a vacation means I don't have the credit card bill to go along with it, and that driving an old car is far superior to going into debt for a new one. Truth be told -- I gave up sunbathing long ago because of the skin cancer risk. I don't have to drive hours to the ocean to enjoy the water, when there is a beautiful river less than fifteen minutes from home!

My world may not be very large, but my God is -- and His grace and blessings are more than enough for me.






Copyright © 2017 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment