Thursday, June 22, 2017

The Sin of Comparison

They say confession is good for the soul, but lately I feel that's all I do.  Whether I am confessing my frustration on the job or my envy of what others have, I find that a negative attitude is more likely to occur when I compare myself with others. Pride and envy arrive as uninvited guests to my pity party and stay as long as I allow them to. Fortunately, though, I have learned to disarm them by counting my blessings and thanking God for his favor and provision.

Pride is an ugly thing and comparison is the manifestation of a prideful heart.  I am reminded of the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector in Luke 18:9-14. Sadly I am prone to act more like the Pharisee when it comes to my attitude toward others. Who am I to judge? But aren't we all guilty of comparing ourselves with and judging others from time to time?  That doesn't make it right.

The happiest people I know are those who have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. (See Philippians 4:11-13.)  When I remember to trust the God who knows me best, loves me most, and gives me all I need, then I am content. But when I begin comparing myself to others, judging them against my standards rather than his love for them, that's when I get into trouble.

What if instead of comparing ourselves with others, we begin praying for and treating them as we'd have them do for us? At the end of the day it doesn't matter what others have or who they are, but rather who we all are in Christ.




Copyright © 2017 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment