Thursday, February 2, 2017

Why I Gave Up Cable TV

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is" (Ephesians 5:15-17, ESV).
People already think I'm weird because I went vegan in 2016, but even stranger perhaps is my decision to give up cable TV, or at least most of the channels our family has enjoyed these past three years. Not that there is anything wrong with watching television -- I am simply not disciplined enough to step away from it and give my attention to more beneficial activities and interests.  I did subscribe to a basic programming package that will give us network and public broadcasting channels. After all I do need to know what tomorrow's weather will be and the news that affects my family. But the cost is exorbitant, the value limited, and my time too precious to be spent on something of so little benefit.

But why did I really downgrade my cable subscription?  Because I am convinced that God has bigger plans for me than to mindlessly watch hours of sappy love stories, and because the hard-earned money he has entrusted to our family can be better invested in doing his will and enriching the lives of others.

It is hard to hear God's voice when the TV is on all the time. It is easy to let TV become an excuse to put off exercise or that important project that needs my attention. TV has stolen too much from me -- dreams, inspiration, time, and money.

Is there something that is robbing you of the truly important things, like relationships with family and friends or that special task to which God has called you? TV, social media, and even "good causes" can distract us from the more important things.

"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth" (Colossians 3:1-2, ESV).



Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment