Friday, November 11, 2016

Out of the Mouth of Babes

My son has had an uncanny way of keeping me grounded.  When he was a young child, I remember him saying to me during a moment of my own frustration, "Mom, stop, breathe, and think!"  "Stop, breath, and think" was a phrase he'd heard on one of his favorite kids shows, "Blue's Clues."  I have remembered that word of admonition many times through the years.

Now nearly two decades later my first-born has shared the following encouragement on Facebook in the wake of the recent presidential election:  "To everyone, those in favor or opposition of the new president. Have faith. Love. Live your life. Things will be bright again." My son, whose ideas about life have often clashed with my own ideals, couldn't have said more simply, or profoundly, what we all need to remember -- that life is short, love is invaluable, and at the end of the day our faith will help preserve our joy.

Thank you, Chris, for once more teaching your mother that there is indeed a better way.



Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment