Monday, June 20, 2016

The Privilege of Suffering

Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 
(2 Corinthians 4:16-18, NIV)

Most of us understand what suffering is.  We live in a fallen world where the evil hearts of men cause undue suffering for innocent people.  We lose loved ones.  Our resources dry up long before our needs are satisfied.  Our health declines.  We suffer.

But have we considered that sometimes it is a privilege to suffer?  Sometimes God allows suffering in order to refine us, to draw us closer to him, and to serve as a testimony of his grace to those who desperately need it.

When I look back on the most painful seasons of my life it is there that I see God's hand most clearly.  The broken relationships I have suffered have caused me to truly understand just how faithful he is.  The financial hardships I have suffered along the way have been opportunities for him to provide in miraculous ways.  Change -- as difficult as it often is -- has become an adventure and the chance to discover God's will and ways are higher than mine.

If your present season is one of hardship or suffering, I pray God will reveal himself to you in a profound way.  I pray that you will have faith to praise him even though your circumstances are difficult.  I pray that he will make a way for you, calm the rough seas of adversity, and use your experience to help someone else through theirs (2 Corinthians 1:4).




Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment