Monday, June 6, 2016

For the Sake of One

Several months ago Steve and I were asked to teach a College and Career Sunday school class in our church. We were cautioned by some not to expect great things or anticipate stellar attendance, yet were pleasantly surprised when our small class nearly reached capacity a few weeks ago. Then no one showed up for two weeks in a row despite efforts to reach out to and engage these young adults.  We were faced with a decision:  Do we continue to invest time preparing lessons for this class, knowing that we may not have students to teach, or do we abandon the class, at least for the summer, and hope that there will be a need somewhere down the road?

Sometimes we are called to serve in a particular ministry or area of need, yet to us it seems we are not making any real difference.  My most recent royalty check is evidence of that--trust me, I won't quit my day job! But are we willing to lay aside egos and outcomes for the sake of even one?

In Zechariah 4:10, the prophet writes, "Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin." In other words, when God calls you to do something, obey and leave the outcome to Him. Trust that He is using you in ways you may not see to accomplish more than you can ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).

Yesterday as I sat in an empty classroom praying for direction I was reminded of my Lord's great sacrifice for me, and I relished knowing that if I had been the only sinner in need of a Savior, Christ would still have died on the cross to forgive my sins. If He could do that for the sake of one, then so can we.




Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment