Saturday, March 19, 2016

To Stay or To Leave?

A few months ago I wrote a blog titled "Position Yourself," at a time when I was struggling with a difficult decision.  I'd like to say that the situation which prompted that reflection has resolved itself, but I still struggle some days.  Lately I have wondered if it might not be best to simply turn my back and "let my walking do the talking?" As tempting as it is to cut my losses and take the easy way out, that's not what I sense the Lord telling me to do.  Experience has taught me that it is best to wait on God's departure schedule rather that hop on the first flight to a happier place.

Whether you are struggling with a bad marriage, challenging work environment, or a difficult relationship, I encourage you to really seek God's heart on the matter. While leaving might get someone else's attention and give you some relief, will it ultimately accomplish God's will?  Or might you shortchange yourself or the one(s) left behind by not allowing "perseverance to finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:4)?  Have you considered that as difficult as the situation might be, God has put you there to have a positive impact or to be his instrument of change?

You could let your walking do the talking and free yourself from unpleasant circumstances. But what if, instead, you "stay and pray," allowing God to have the last word? Could you even dare to imagine what might happen if you "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44, ESV)?  The pain you feel now may be the fertile soil in which God is germinating seeds of hope for someone else.

If you earnestly seek God's will and walk through your valley with his Word as your guide, he will bring about change -- maybe not in your circumstances, but certainly in you.  And when the time does come for you to leave, you will know -- for his peace will replace the uncertainty of your decision.



Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment