Friday, February 26, 2016

Broken Stuff

Last weekend my purse strap broke while I was out shopping.  How convenient that I could shop for a replacement at the department store!  I had not planned to buy a new purse but the one I had simply wore out.  My budget was not happy.

This afternoon, at the end of a very long and tiring week, when I was already feeling a little spent, the interior handle on my driver's side car door broke off.  As much as I love my old station wagon I tire of having to repair it.  With a tax bill due and a vacation to pay for, this was the last thing my budget needed.  Thankfully it is pay day and I have money set aside in savings to handle this latest emergency.  More than that, I have a faithful God who has promised to work all things -- even broken things -- together for my good (Romans 8:28) and to supply my needs according to His glorious riches (Philippians 4:19).

I don't know why I can't seem to go two weeks without something breaking.  It's really quite frustrating.  But at least these events are not life-altering.  I can give thanks that I still have my health (though my sanity is in question at the moment) and a trustworthy mechanic who will fix my old station wagon so that I can take that vacation that I've scheduled.

Even though I'm not necessarily thankful for the broken stuff in my life, I can be thankful in spite of it. After all, "everything in the heavens and earth are yours, O Lord, and this is your kingdom. We adore you as being in control of everything. Riches and honor are from you alone, and you are the Ruler of all mankind. Your hand controls power and might, and it is at your discretion that men are made great and given strength" (1 Chronicles 29:11-12, TLB).

Lord, give us the strength to handle our challenges and to take joy in the knowledge that you are in control of all things great and small.




Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment