Saturday, January 23, 2016

There's a Reason It's Called a Temple

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.      (Romans 12:1, ESV)
In December I scheduled some long postponed medical appointments, including a routine physical. The results of that exam called for further testing, which resulted in negative findings, thankfully. Except for a cavity, a suspicious mole (which was caught early enough), and an elevated cholesterol reading, everything turned out fine.  For a middle-aged menopausal woman I am in relatively good health.

As expected, my healthcare provider highly recommended I limit my sugar and caffeine intake and lose twenty pounds, things I should have been doing all along. Somehow, though, those suggestions by a medical professional and my own ill-fitting wardrobe have convinced me that it is time to become diligent in my efforts to increase exercise and make healthier dietary choices. So far, so good. I've lost five pounds, have more energy, and am sleeping better than I have in years.

But there is another, more important reason to take care of this earthly shell. Scripture calls my body -- and yours -- the temple of the Holy Spirit.  "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price.  So glorify God in your body" (1 Corinthians 6:19-21, ESV).

As believers who have surrendered our lives to God, we need to keep in mind that our dietary choices and even our recreational choices should be made with His glory in mind.  Is it easy?  No.  But with God's help all things are possible.


Copyright © 2016 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment