Saturday, November 28, 2015

Merry Menopause

Hormones and holidays don't mix.  I am thankful for the foresight to decorate early this year to save the stress of last-minute holiday preparations because I don't handle stress well these days, thanks to not so merry menopause.  I suspected my mood swings, insomnia, and agitation were indications that I am in the throes of this female rite of passage.  Perusing a lengthy list of symptoms last night and realizing that I am suffering all but two, have confirmed that suspicion.

I have already offered my apologies to family for being a Scrooge lately.
Long walks through the woods and solitary drives through the countryside, far away from the hustle and bustle of the holidays, have proven therapeutic.  Online shopping has become my friend.

Maybe you are not dealing with hormones but you have other challenges which are stealing your holiday joy.  Don't beat yourself up for feeling less than able to gracefully navigate the holiday gatherings, shopping, and celebrations.  Find ways to make it through and give thanks for the little blessings God has bestowed on you. Pray as often as you need to.  Talk to God about what you are feeling and lean on Him.  He knows anyway, and He delights in supplying the peace you so desperately seek.  And for goodness' sake, don't beat yourself up!  God doesn't, not if you are a child of His.  Crawl up in His lap, have a good cry, or take a nap, especially if you are tired.  The rest of the world can wait.  It will get better.  My stress, your sadness -- they're only temporary.  Dwell on the good.  Endure the struggle.  Know that there is always hope because of the One who came at Christmas.




Copyright © 2015 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment