Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A Thousand Words

This snapshot of my family, taken just before my daughter's Sweet 16th birthday dinner, may be the most precious photo I will ever possess.  As I look into the faces of these treasures God has given me I realize that a thousand words are insufficient to describe the relationships we share, the challenges we have faced, and the thankfulness I feel for each one of them.  God has given me better than I deserved, and in the years of living with these three through good times and bad, has revealed himself to me in ways I could never have imagined.

We have been challenged in our marriage, at times on the brink of failure.  We have been battered by years of parenting teenagers who have had to navigate the obstacle course of a generation characterized by a sense of entitlement and rebellion against the values we have tried to instill in them.  We have been yanked from the familiarity of the placed we called home and dropped in a land halfway across the country to start all over.  We have cried buckets of tears and nearly laughed ourselves to death.  What an incredible, amazing journey it has been!

This picture represents so much more to me than family, the way God intended it to be -- happy, loving, and unified.  It represents the fulfillment of God's promises to comfort, guide, encourage, heal, and provide for us when our challenges were overwhelming -- always remaining true to his Word and loving in all his ways.  It reminds me of friends who encouraged us along the way, especially as we walked the parental tightrope between despair over bad choices and determination to hold tight to our convictions as Christians.  They were right -- things did get better!

If your life's snapshot is not a happy one, take heart -- God is still in the process of positioning you for your Kodak moment.  Trust that he knows what he is doing, he is true to the promises of his Word, and that at the right moment all the broken pieces will be put together in a glorious picture of his love and faithfulness to you.


Copyright © 2015 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment