Monday, March 30, 2015

Silver Lining

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:18, NIV).
Nothing makes me grouchier than being awakened from a good sleep before the alarm goes off. Like a hibernating bear whose long winter nap is cut short by the sound of gunfire or an early spring I come out of the cave growling on the inside and sometimes grumbling on the outside.

This morning I was awakened by the thud of plastic shampoo bottles and cabinet doors as my teenager noisily got ready for her school day.  After a futile attempt to get back to sleep I wandered from the bedroom to my La-Z-Boy only to find my son asleep in MY chair with the television still on. Upon evicting him from my chair I sat down too irritated to catch a few extra winks so I began to pray in an effort to calm myself and find a silver lining in the midst of my exasperation.

As I thought about the noise that awoke me from peaceful slumber too early on a Monday morning I thanked God that I have a daughter who is disciplined enough to get herself up without having to be begged, threatened, or yelled at repeatedly.  I thought about the blessing of having a son willing to step out of his comfort zone and relocate with us to a new place a thousand miles from home because he knows it is his best shot for a better life.

Sometimes the irritating habits of others will set us off or circumstances beyond our control will create stress and unhappiness. If in those moments we will focus our attention on God rather than on our circumstances and begin thanking him in all things -- even if we find it hard to thank him for all things -- then we will find our silver lining and perhaps a blessing or two along the way.

Jesus, You are the silver lining
In a world that is dreary and gray -- 
When my problems and failures haunt me
And I struggle to find my way.
Though often my heart is troubled
And my eyes are too bleary to see --
You are the love that I love for,
For no other love matters to me.
Oft I grow weary and tired of the struggles
That carry my heart far away.
But when darkness of night finally leaves me
You bring hope and new strength for each day.
Thank You, Lord, for Your promise to keep me
Safely sheltered in Your strong embrace.
Help me to always see silver linings
In every situation I face.


Copyright © 2015 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment