Friday, January 30, 2015

I'm Glad I'm Not Famous

"So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves" (Philippians 2:1-3, ESV).
Growing up as an awkward teen with many idols I always thought it would be nice to be famous.  I remember once sitting in second row seats at a Sandi Patty concert realizing sadly that I would never sing like her.  My dreams were dashed until the Lord whispered to me that because of her fame she would face challenges I would never know.  In that moment I felt it okay just to be me.  Many years have come and gone since the dream of having a voice like Sandi's vanished. I have learned that not all of us were born to sing solo and that a truly good choir is made of voices that blend well together.

In the past few years I have written three devotional books and become a published author. It's no big deal really. That God would allow me to pen anything remotely inspiring is a blessing to me, but as I look at my life now I am glad I'm not famous. Sure, I would love a big fat royalty check but at what cost? Time away from my family to do book tours and speaking engagements or the missed opportunities to minister to people who face some of the personal challenges God has used to grow and inspire me?

I would rather be approachable any day!  No amount of money can replace the thrill and joy of knowing that God uses ordinary people like us to accomplish extraordinary things in the lives of others. The ministry each of us shares one-on-one with co-workers, family, and friends can be far more rewarding than reaching masses of people we will never know personally.  Jesus himself was approachable despite his divinity and oneness with God.

I'm glad I'm not famous!  I love my life just the way it is -- the work I do, the ministry God has given me in this season of life, and the joy of knowing that in his choir, my joyful noise is pleasing to his ears.




Copyright © 2015 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment