Sunday, December 28, 2014

A New Direction

Very few people read this blog even when I post the link on social media.  I might as well be talking to a brick wall, or perhaps just to myself most of the time. It doesn't matter, though, as long as someone is reached with the truth and encouragement of God's Word.  It has been my mission to write about life by taking the experiences I have had or the emotions I have felt in certain situations and sharing the lessons God taught me through them. Response to the things I have written has varied, but I have always written with the hope that someone would benefit from my mistakes and the hard lessons I have learned from them.

Over the course of the past six years I have authored three devotional books (all published), some magazine articles, and a few dozen newspaper columns.  Book sales have been lackluster and hits to the blog have been underwhelming.  The most hits I ever had was to a blog inspired by the Chilean mine accident several years ago and a news report that told of an "errant white butterfly."  Not sure why I am even sharing this except to say that things didn't quite turn out the way I thought they would.

I'm not sure where any of this is going, quite honestly.  I only know that in many aspects of my life I feel I am supposed to move in a new direction. Not knowing what that direction is, I am prayerfully seeking God's will and waiting on his direction rather than making my own way.  I have in mind what I think he might be trying to accomplish in my life, but I've "misunderstood" him before so I'm not going to declare anything until I have confirmation.  But I don't think the new direction is going to include much writing.  On the other hand, my greatest inspiration may be just around the corner.

2014 was a year of great change, including a move away from everything that was familiar to me -- family, friends, church, and a city where I'd lived all my life.  But the changes have been positive ones.  I have moved from what I had thought would be a flourishing writing and speaking ministry to a dream job in a small Methodist church, where I am able to put my God-given skills and past ministry experience to use serving a sweet congregation.  I have been able to use my music education and choral experience to work with their choir on occasion.  The work I do there is very rewarding and I know now that this ministry is why God uprooted me and moved me from Virginia.

Still, I believe he has even greater things in store for me in the days ahead. Or maybe I am just longing for more of him every day.  Whatever lies ahead I choose to embrace the adventure of not knowing--the adventure of placing all my trust in the One who knows the rest of the story. The road will no doubt be paved with difficulties and heartache, but God will remain my faithful companion and guide on the journey.

In just a few days we will turn the pages of our calendars to a brand new year.  What will your new year look like?  Will you embrace the adventure and live to your full potential, or will you shrink back in fear of heartache, failure, and loss.

In a sense, I believe God is calling us all to go in a new direction -- to walk by faith, not by sight; to make the most of our time, not waste it; to give more and seek less for ourselves; and to live victorious and holy lives so that others may know there truly is a God in heaven and that his Son, Jesus, is our only way to get there.

Do you need to move in a different direction in the coming year? If your heart is longing for more, perhaps the answer is yes. Prayerfully seek God's plan and purpose for your life and dare to embrace the adventure of living wholly surrendered to him. No matter how rough the journey may be at times, he will stay right beside you. Through every adversity you will see a little more of him until eventually, he will become all you need and everything you want.



Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment