Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Who's Holding Your Umbrella?

Rainy Day at Gloucester Point Beach
"Rainy days and Mondays always get me down."  This line from a hit song of The Carpenters is particularly fitting as I write this. Yesterday was a rainy Monday. This morning I awoke to heavy rain and a river flowing through my front yard. But it's not all bad. Thirsty plants are rejoicing to have a long overdue drink of refreshing rain and hummingbirds are still buzzing around my feeder. Sometimes we just need rain.

Figuratively speaking, the trials of our lives often pour in torrents at times. This is my rainy season, it seems. I am flooded with bills that are awaiting that first paycheck to hit the bank after a three-month drought of unemployment. My "almost antique" wagon is sitting in my driveway waiting on brakes. And my husband is on his way to traffic court to hear the judge say, "You should have listened to your wife." (Don't I wish?  In reality he will probably make Steve pay court costs that could have been avoided, for a resolved traffic offense that should never have occurred in the first place, and send him on his way with an empty checkbook.)

It's not all bad, however. Even though my car can not be driven until the brakes are repaired when we get paid at the end of the week, Steve and I can carpool easily because of our shift times, Joy's school schedule, and the locations of our jobs. It isn't convenient but it is do-able. Eventually, as we keep plugging away at our jobs and pay down our debt, we will manage to save money for the things we want to do instead of the things we have to do.

We've all heard it said that "when it rains it pours." But I like to tag that phrase with this assurance -- God is holding the umbrella!  As surely as rainy days will muddy the road you walk at times, bad things will always happen to good people. That is the nature of the world in which we live. But rain or shine you can count on one thing -- God is good all the time!

I once told a co-worker that it occurred to me one day that the colors of autumn are more vibrant on a cloudy day. (As the leaves turn this year, keep that in mind.) Often, the blessings of God are never more real than when we walk through a season of adversity with a thankful heart. If you are having trouble finding a reason to thank God this morning, then consider his promise to you:  "Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him" (James 1:12, NIV).


Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment