Sunday, September 21, 2014

Ramblings of a Working Woman

As I prepare to start my fourth week in my new job I wonder where the time has gone.  The kinder gentler pace of a lazy summer has been replaced by a rhythm more resembling a beehive than the slow-pouring honey manufactured in it.  Said another way -- life is suddenly very, very busy.  In a sense, I feel as though I have reverted to my former existence, the one before the move when I was busy being a single mom (in the absence of my spouse who had already moved), tending to my kids and packing for our relocation to Virginia.  But one thing is different:  my determination to take some time every day to enjoy the beauty of our surroundings and to connect with my family, despite our busy schedules. As I write this late on a Sunday evening I am waiting for my eldest offspring to come through the door, anticipating that he will be exhausted from a long shift in the kitchen of the restaurant where he works.  I need to be in bed, but he will need me to be up waiting for him to talk about his day. A mom's job never ends.

I love my new position and am so grateful for the kindness of the people I serve.  God has once more given me better than I deserved, and I am so very thankful.  When I consider the timing of this job and the blessing of having an entire summer off to bond with my kids and get acclimated to a new home in a new place, I cannot help but be amazed.  And while I no longer have the amount of time at home that I once did, it's all good. I am relearning good time management skills and finding that at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what didn't get done.  What is important is what was accomplished for God's glory and the time I spent with the people I love.

I love what the author of Ecclesiastes wrote in chapter 3, verse 22:  "So I saw that there is nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot. For who can bring them to see what will happen after them?"  Not knowing what the future holds is what makes the life of the surrendered Christian a daily adventure. But the joy of walking in God's will and enjoying the job He has laid in my lap for such a time as this is an absolute treasure!



Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment