Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Little Bit Goes a Long Way

No matter how much or how little sleep I get at night I find myself tired at odd times throughout the day. These occurrences of fatigue have very little to do with the quality of the sleep I get; rather, they have everything to do with the frame of mind I happen to be in.

Case in point -- I can be sleep-deprived the night before a vacation yet get on the road and travel twelve or thirteen hours to get to my destination without ever getting sleepy.  The excitement of the adventure causes an adrenaline rush that allows me to push through the exhaustion I should feel. Or I can be out with friends feeling energized by their fellowship only to come home and be hit by a sudden wave of fatigue as I walk through the front door to the reality of family life.  Not saying my family stresses me out all the time but we are human and tend to get sideways with one another from time to time.

So what is the answer?  How do we combat the fatigue of battle (we're all in a battle of some sort) without losing the strength or will to fight?  I have to admit that sometimes I am overwhelmed by everything and desire nothing more than to cave in to the comfort of my bed or retreat to a corner of the house where no one can trample on my hurting heart.  Don't you feel that way, too?

Certainly if I am physically tired I will take a nap so I can function better.  But if I realize that my fatigue is emotional or spiritual I run as fast as I can to a quiet place where I can pour out my heart to the Lord. However, running to him isn't enough.  It is only when I begin to thank him for my blessings and yes, for the trials that send me rushing into his arms, that the mantle of heaviness begins to lift from my shoulders and rest upon his.

I don't know what despair you face today but I do know that a thankful heart does wonders in my fight to defeat discouragement and re-energize me when I feel exhausted.  If all your talks with God seem to fall on deaf ears try seasoning them with a little more thanksgiving.  The aroma of praise is not only irresistible to our Lord but also a key ingredient in the recipe for a joyful life that glorifies him. Just a little bit goes a long way.

Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, NASB).



Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment