Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Death of Me

Every now and then I hear someone say, "__________ (fill in the blank) is going to be the death of me."  In fact, I have often used that same phrase to describe parenting, financial challenges, my job (or lack thereof), marriage, and life in general.  Can anyone relate?

The past six months have been full of those "death of me" moments as I have navigated the stormy seas of a four-month separation from my husband, the loss of his dad, and the packing and logistics associated with our family's relocation to another state.  Although we have managed to get settled into our new home there have been moments when I thought the adjustment to this new life would be the death of me.  Somewhere in the process, though, I have discovered that the death of me is a good thing, not a bad one.

You see, when we reach the end of ourselves and acknowledge that there are simply things we cannot do on our own, healing we cannot effect in another human being, or problems we cannot fix, we position God to step in and do what he does best.  When we die to ourselves and let Christ work in and through us what only he can do, then we come to know Christ in us, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27).

Galatians 2:20 (NIV) has taken on new meaning for me in recent weeks:  "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."  It is a verse I often use to encourage myself when perseverance is needed.

Next time life is hard and you are tempted to use that phrase, "the death of me," rejoice instead.  As you allow the crucified Christ to live in and through you, others will see in "Christ in you, the hope of glory" and perhaps come to a saving and sustaining knowledge of him.




Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment