Saturday, May 10, 2014

Trying to Picture It

The longest four months of my life are nearly over.  Shortly after Steve arrived in Virginia we began having long phone conversations as I taught him how to keep in touch and access the Internet using the tablet computer I sent him for an early anniversary gift.  I enjoyed those tutoring sessions and it felt at times like we were dating.  

As we enter the final leg of our family's relocation our conversations have turned from technology issues and the challenges of a cross-country move to the preparations he is making for our arrival in three weeks.  In our most recent conversations  my primary objective has been trying to picture our new home and determine where we will place the furnishings we are taking with us since we are downsizing and losing the equivalent of two and a half rooms.

Up until now I have felt overwhelmed by the tasks before me:  selling our home, the car, and furniture we can no longer accommodate, and cleaning out and packing our remaining belongings.  Every task has generated another, it seems, and on top of everything we have had to simultaneously work with Steve's mother and brother to get her moved into retirement housing near us by the time we make our final trip to Virginia.  Although the challenge of moving her seems insurmountable at times I am reminded that God has already accomplished so many things and provided for us at every turn.  He hasn't brought us this far to leave us languishing in frustration.  He who began a good work in our lives by calling us to our new life in Virginia will be faithful to complete it, even if it seems hopeless at times.  I know, because He promised to.

During this season of anticipation and stress I have often recited the words of Psalm 121:  
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.  My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.  He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.  Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.  The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.  The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.  The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
As we drive through the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains on our way to "the land of the life worth living," I will carry the assurance that the One who has gone before us will be waiting on the other side of those mountains, eager to show us around the place He has already prepared.




Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment