Sunday, April 6, 2014

How Will My Garden Grow?

Taking a break from de-cluttering I decided to venture outside and check on the perennials blooming in my yard and flower beds.  I had a Pocahontas moment  when the following lyrics from "Colors of the Wind" (lyrics by Stephen Schwartz) came to mind:
You think you own whatever land you land on
The earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name
 
Chris's dogwood (top) and my April flowers (bottom)
Walking over to the dogwood tree, just a naked twig in a baggie Chris brought home from school when he was in second grade (he is now 20), I wondered if it might bloom this year, since it has been a hit-or-miss bloomer for the past three or four seasons.  As my eyes welled up with tears at the sight of tiny dogwood flowers just beginning to open, I realized that nearly every flower in my garden has a story or memory associated with it. How in the world can I leave them all behind?

Going through photos last night I came across several pictures of gardens that I have planted in this home and in our previous home, where we lived for fourteen years.  For the past twenty-seven years I have delighted in growing flowers and an occasional vegetable or two.  And while I won't have time this spring to do the amount of gardening I would like because of the move, I will not leave Collierville without a few of my favorite plants and memories of time spent in my backyard haven.

The two flower pots on my patio represent the start of my Virginia garden, which includes yellow tulips planted last year, miniature daffodils transplanted this spring, a cluster of coreopsis, and a perennial sunflower (left pot), as well as a butterfly bush given to me by my mother planted in the middle of red dianthus (right pot) which are coming up again this year even though the seedlings I bought last year were marked "annual."


Although I will miss working in my Collierville flower bed (shown below) this spring, I look forward to taking my special plantings with me to our new home in Virginia, where I can watch them grow over the summer and remember fondly the years we enjoyed living here.  Only God knows how my garden will grow or what life will bring for us in "the land of the life worth living," but as sure as the sun shines and the rain falls to nourish the earth and cause flowers to bloom, we joyfully embrace the adventure knowing that He will be with us every step of the way.

Our garden in 2013

Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment