Thursday, January 2, 2014

How to Be a Nobody

 "If I speak God’s Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, “Jump,” and it jumps, but I don’t love, I’m nothing" (1 Corinthians 13:2, The Message).

While reading my devotionals this morning the familiar verse above caught me off-guard with a convicting truth:  I am nothing if I don't have love.  It doesn't matter how many devotional books I write, how eloquently I present the truths of God's Word, or how strong my faith may seem -- without his love growing in me and shining through me I am nobody!

We all want to be somebody and to have a significant positive impact on those around us, particularly the lost ones who need our Savior.  But our words are hollow if his love is not evident in our lives.  Last night over a game of cards, when looking for a heart to play from my hand, I jokingly said, "I've been told that I don't have a heart." Sadly, sometimes my behavior would seem to confirm that statement.  

As I look ahead to a new year and contemplate the changes I would like to see, at the top of the list are being less angry and loving others as Christ would.

Lord, increase my capacity to love others by filling me afresh with your Holy Spirit and your grace.  May my actions and attitudes reflect your character and the truths of your Word so that others may see you in me and desire to walk in your ways.








Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment