Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Forsaken

Forsaken.  It is a word with which we are all too familiar, a word often used to describe how we feel because of the way others have treated us -- perhaps even how God has treated us.  We feel abandoned, rejected, deserted, or betrayed by those in whom we have invested our hearts, souls, and minds.  As a result of having been forsaken we often lose our ability to trust others -- even God.

Satan will do anything in his power to make us believe the lie that because someone else has forsaken us, we are somehow not worthy of God's love and that God himself has turned his back on us. The enemy wants us to believe that no one, not even God himself, understands what it feels like to be forsaken as we have been. Sweet friend, nothing could be further from the truth!

Christ, as he hung on the cross for our sins, asked our heavenly Father, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:47).  In that brief moment of agony when the Father turned his face away, it was not because he hated his only Son but the sin for which Christ willingly died so that we could live eternally in his presence. Our eternity with God begins the day we receive Christ as Savior and is made glorious as we surrender daily to his Lordship in our lives.  "And nothing" -- not our sins, hangups, or hurts -- "can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:39).

When we feel forsaken it is good to remember these assurances from God's Word:

"Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me" (Psalm 27:10).

"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread" (Psalm 37:25).

"No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life.  As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Joshua 1:5)

Consider this:  If the word forsake means "to renounce or turn away from entirely"*, then why can't we forsake the lies of the enemy and the destructive thoughts we harbor toward ourselves and simply trust the promises of the God who has promised never to forsake us?


("Forsake." Merriam-Webster.com. Accessed January 8, 2014. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forsake.)




Copyright © 2014 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment