Wednesday, October 23, 2013

When the Numb Wears Off

Going to the dentist isn't my favorite thing to do.  In the past few years I have had a couple of root canals, some crown work, and a couple of cavities filled.  I've also had my bank account drained as a result!

Fortunately my dentist and endodontist are careful to make sure I am adequately medicated so that I don't experience any major discomfort during a procedure.  The problem with the medication is that it often results in a crooked smile and a mouth that cannot even sip water until hours after the procedure!  Even though the medication makes the dental work relatively painless, there is often residual pain and discomfort from the procedure when the numb wears off. 
 
So it is with life. We may medicate our hurts and stresses in life with drugs, food, sex, alcohol, or some form of entertainment in order to avoid facing our problems or dealing with the reality that life in a fallen world is painful.  But when the substances we use and abuse wear off, the pain will still be there.  Why?  Because nothing in this life -- no drug, no distraction -- can heal the hurt or fix the underlying cause of our pain.
 
So, what is our hope?  Jesus, plain and simple.  He created us and this world in which we live.  He is not responsible for the bad things that happen as a result of man's sin nature but his death on the cross is our salvation and provides assurance of a gloriously painless eternity in heaven, if we choose to receive him as Savior and surrender to him as Lord.
 
Bad things will always happen to good people.  But with Jesus as our Rock and our ever-present help in time of need, we can get through the storm and find healing from the pain.  I know this to be true because I made the choice long ago to put down the bottle and pick up my Bible and live my life God's way instead of my own.  I still have pain some days, but I possess an even greater peace because of the One who walks through every storm with me.  You can know that same peace, too.


Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment