Friday, October 4, 2013

Trading in My Shell

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control" (2 Timothy 1:7 AMP).

Have you ever wondered why turtles are so timid?  Every time I walk around the lake I see turtles of all sizes sunning themselves or swimming.  Without fail, every time a human approaches (or least every time I have approached), these creatures plop back into the safety of their aquatic habitat.  It's as though they forget they have a shell to protect them from larger or more curious creatures.  Or maybe they just don't like people.  I know a few folks who make me want to crawl into my shell, too!

The baby turtle to the left was courageous enough to climb a cement slope to sun himself but immediately dove into the lake as I walked on the path a few yards away.  I wasn't even walking toward him -- only past -- but his survival instinct kicked in and before I knew it he disappeared!  Seems such a shame when I know how hard he must have worked to reach the summit only to let fear steal his victory!

Can you think of some things that create such fear in us that we run and hide?  How about that debt collector whose call you ignore when his number pops up on the caller ID, or the person across the room who has reserved a few choice words for you and is waiting for the opportunity to give you a piece of her mind?  There are so many things in life -- joblessness, illness, plain old stress -- that make us cower in fear even though God tells us, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10 NIV).

God has supplied us with amazing armor (Ephesians 6:10-18) to protect us from the dangers that surround us.  He has equipped us with the power of His Holy Spirit to guide and direct us in all areas of our life.  And he gives us his amazing grace.  In 2 Corinthians 12:9, Paul writes:  "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'

Since I have learned that God's grace is sufficient and his armor is more than adequate to protect me from the enemy, I am trading in my shell.  God has also shown me that as long as I surrender my plans and problems to him, I have nothing at all to fear for he is trustworthy and faithful to his promises.  There is no need to run away from the enemy as long as I remember to run to God!



Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment