Sunday, October 27, 2013

Is It Even Worth It?

Of all the questions we ask ourselves perhaps one of the most compelling is, "Is it even worth it? Does what I do make a difference?  Does anybody really care?"

I don't know what you do to make a living or what thing it is that gives you purpose, but I do know that it is human nature to second-guess ourselves and at times, second-guess God's purpose and plan for our lives.   Second-guessing God's calling is something I do more often than I care to admit, particularly when book sales are slow and my calendar is empty.  But then I am reminded that my life is about so much more than writing and marketing -- it is about walking out my faith before family, friends, and strangers.  It is about being the hands and feet of Christ to those around me.  If God chooses to use me in the ordinary circumstances of life rather through the extraordinary, who am I to argue?  All that really matters is his glory and the souls of those he brings across my path.

God is so gracious to encourage me through my readers when I need it most. Through their encouragement he lets me know that when I do seek his will and write about the lessons he is teaching me, he uses what I have suffered to encourage others in their difficulties (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).  Even in my suffering God proves himself faithful to his Word.  Somehow that makes any suffering I endure all the more worthwhile.

Sometimes I am criticized for being a little too transparent when I write about the things I grow through.  (No,  that is not a typo because I do, in fact, grow through the experiences of life, especially the hard ones.)  If we aren't transparent at times, how can others know that not only can they survive a particularly difficult trial, but thrive as a result of it because God has promised to meet them at their deepest point of need?

What you do, sweet friend, matters so much more than you know. Whether you write, parent, work in an office, or labor on an assembly line, your work matters!  The life you live matters!  It matters to those around you who are struggling to find the hope that you have, those whose dark paths long to be illumined by the light of Christ that beams brightly through you.

When you are frustrated and ready to throw in the towel ask God to renew your sense of purpose and help you see, from his perspective, that what you do really does matter.  Beloved, no matter how feeble your efforts or how often you stumble, what you do matters most of all to God.  Call on him to help, inspire, and motivate you to carry on for the glory of his name!



Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment