Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Doing Our Part and Letting God Do His

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.  It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.'  Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me" (John 6:44-45, NIV).
Have you ever felt like your best effort just wasn't good enough?  Maybe you went out of your way to help someone in need but instead of receiving gratitude you got an earful of grumbling because the recipient somehow expected more.  Or perhaps you put a lot of effort into a project only to see lackluster results.  Kind of makes you want to quit, doesn't it?

I think one of the toughest things we face in life is the failure to convince our lost friends and loved ones that receiving Christ's salvation for their sins and surrendering their lives to His will are the only way they will find true and lasting peace and fulfillment.  There are some pretty tough nuts to crack when it comes to the people we most want to see saved!  But maybe instead of trying to browbeat them to the Cross, we need to simply love them as Christ would and live a life consistent with His Word, a task much easier said than done.  That's our part, yet some of us fail miserably to consistently model the love and grace of our Savior. 

As results-oriented people we may feel we have somehow fallen short of the evangelistic mark if someone doesn't accept our invitation to attend church or receive Christ as Savior.  There are many people who are quite persuasive and are much more effective than some of us at leading people to the Lord.  What do they have that we don't?

When I feel like my evangelism doesn't measure up because that person I want most to come to Christ just won't, I take comfort in the verses above.  I am reminded that although many people sowed seeds of truth into my life through the years, it wasn't until I wandered far from the faith during a season of rebellion that I finally heard the Father's voice and was ultimately drawn into an intimate and abiding relationship with Christ.  Now it is up to me to live that surrendered life with the kind of love and grace that God can use to draw others to Him.  I am trying my best to do my part and leaving the results up to God.
 

Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment