Monday, July 29, 2013

One of These Things is Not Like the Other

Then God said, “Let the earth produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds.” And it was so. The earth produced vegetation: seed-bearing plants according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. (Genesis 1:11-12, HCSB)


This picture of the fruit on my kitchen table is not my artistic rendering of a "still life." But I couldn't resist photographing it after reading the origin sticker on the bananas, which were grown in Guatemala. When I considered the number of bananas my family consumes in a given year I had to do a little research into banana production. I was amazed by the amount of bananas produced and the number of countries that grow this fruit so many of us enjoy. How great is the God who conceived and provided such a broad variety of food to nourish and satisfy His created ones!

As I folded a load of mismatched towels it dawned on me that nothing matches in my house -- not my furnishings, dishes, or even the wood surfaces in my den. My family room clearly displays how decor-challenged I am. No wonder I feel like such a misfit at times!

Clearly God loves variety. Why else would He create a world with so many climates, so many different races of people, and so many kinds of food? Who but God could design an interdependent system of cultures and economies so that nations can share their resources with other countries that lack them? We need each other and we all need God.

The fact that none of us is like the other is God's plan.  As different as we each may be, we are uniquely beautiful to the One who created us. Not one of is a mistake or a misfit -- we are all loved and accepted just as we are because He made us and loves us.


Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment