Wednesday, July 10, 2013

If Money Were No Object

I learned a little too late in life that it doesn't pay to live beyond one's means.  Decades of poor financial management and an unanticipated period of unemployment have taken its toll on my pocketbook and resulted in some missed opportunities to make a real difference and just enjoy life.  Although we are on the mend and have learned from our mistakes it could take years to become debt-free and achieve financial freedom.  To keep me motivated to behave myself and keep moving in a positive direction I have made a partial list of things I would do if money were no object.

If money were no object, I would:

·         Get a passport so I could go on a mission trip or an overseas vacation

·         Provide financial support for short-term and long-term missionaries

·         Buy a new appliance for a family who can't afford one or meet some other practical need

·         Adopt a shelter pet or two (or ten!)

·         Support the relief organizations that are working around the world to help the hungry, homeless, and hurting

·         Take a much-needed vacation with my family and go visit my siblings who are scattered across the country

·         Treat a friend to lunch or dinner in a restaurant at least once a week

·         Rent or buy an RV and drive cross-country to visit our nation's capital and see America's great natural wonders

·         Fund the restoration of my husband's 1972 Cutlass

·         Indulge in a personal retreat at a lake house somewhere -- just God and me

·         Hire an illustrator and publish a children's book I have written

·         Spend more time enjoying the arts by attending concerts and stage productions I cannot now afford

I know that in my lifetime I will actually accomplish some of these things.  In the meantime, though, I will be content to trust in God's provision as I continue working toward the goal of becoming debt-free, enjoy some of the simpler and less expensive pleasures like hot fudge sundaes and coffee dates, and teach my children that we are all blessed so we can be a blessing, not so we can have and do every little thing we want.

The Bible says, "Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs" (1 Timothy 6:9-11, NIV).  When we learn to be stewards rather than stealers of God's resources we will find ourselves with all we need plus a bounty we can share to bless others. 
 

Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment