Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sure-Footed Faith


Like so many around the world I was intrigued by famed aerialist, Nik Wallenda's, recent attempt to walk a tightrope across a portion of the Grand Canyon.  Having witnessed his previous sky walk over Niagara Falls, I was eager to see if he would succeed in his venture to surpass that crossing.

Although I missed the live telecast of his canyon crossing, I made sure to tune into the replay a few hours later.  Knowing that he must surely have made it across or the replay would have been canceled, I settled into a chair to catch the pre-event commentary and interviews and Joel Osteen's prayer just before Nik Wallenda's walk across the gorge.  Clearly Nik Wallenda was a man of faith and knew that he wasn't stepping onto the two-inch cable alone. 

As I breathlessly watched him pray his way through perhaps the longest twenty-two minutes and fourteen hundred feet of his career, I couldn't help but marvel and be moved by this man's bold and daring faith in God.  As he praised Jesus for the spectacular view high above the canyon and invoked His protection and power over the winds that buffeted him constantly and would have caused a lesser man to plummet to his death on the canyon floor, I was both convicted of the frailty of my faith and encouraged that there is far greater power at my disposal to handle to challenges of my own life.

I am reminded of Psalm 18:32-33 (NKJV):  "It is God who arms me with strength, and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of deer, and sets me on my high places."  Nik Wallenda  boldly demonstrated his sure-footed faith in Jesus, the One who calms the winds and walks with each of us through our challenges.  May God grant us each that same faith to boldly proclaim the name of Jesus, invoke His power  to stand against the storms of life, and ascend to the high places where we can see His glory.



Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment