Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lost

During summer vacation my daughter and I discovered the program "Lost" on Netflix.  When the series aired on network television a few years back I had neither the time nor the interest to watch it week after week.  But since watching the first episode we are hooked and have spent some portion of every day following the journey of these survivors as they await their rescue.

Why is it that I find this particular program so fascinating?  Perhaps it is because of the strange plot twists and character flashbacks.  Or maybe it is because the survivors of the plane crash are looking for the same thing most of us are seeking -- hope and rescue.  Sadly, though, at least at this point in season two, hope has been hard to find and rescue efforts have been elusive at best.  Instead there has been a lot of tragedy and loss and heartbreak.  Sounds a lot like our lives, doesn't it?

Some days I feel like I am living on a desert island with no working communication devices.  I know people who have given up hope that life will be anything but miserable, and my attempts to convince them there is hope are futile.  Despite the fact that I have found my way off the island of despair by embracing a personal relationship with Jesus and the truths of God's Word, I cannot convince them that there is indeed hope and a better life waiting for them if they will do the same.

Even as I swim against the tide of religious animosity and social dysfunction, I hold on to the only hope I know -- Jesus, the anchor of my soul.  I continue to hold out the Word of hope like a life preserver, hoping the lost ones I care for will reach out and grab on before it is too late.  I fight against the rip tide of discouragement the only way I know how -- by praying and calling constantly on the precious name of Jesus, my Savior -- knowing that the One who saved me can also save my lost loved ones.  He can save yours, too.

I know not why God’s wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.
 
But I know Whom I have believèd,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed
Unto Him against that day. -- Daniel W. Whittle
 






Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment