Saturday, June 8, 2013

It Pays to be Gray

Last night my husband and I went on a movie date for the second time in two weeks. This time I offered to buy the tickets. As usual, this was a spur of the moment date and we were running late. In my haste, I did not pause to verify the amount of money charged to my debit card. It wasn't until we were well away from the ticket office and past the ticket taker that I looked down and noticed that we were charged for senior admission. I couldn't help but smile and think, "It pays to be gray."

Normally I would have checked my receipt and corrected the cashier so he would not be held accountable for the error. But I have found that trying to be honest often results in embarrassment for the one who miscalculated my age based on my hair color. I decided in this case to receive the blessing and enjoy the movie.

Recently I considered coloring my hair because I am not old enough for senior discounts and don't feel a day over thirty. But a recent dream that an attempt to cover my gray resulted in purple hair quickly nipped that idea in the bud! Besides, I have worked hard to attain my "crown of splendor" (Proverbs 16:31) and it goes with everything in my wardrobe!

I figure that if God wanted me to be a tall, thin blonde He would have created me that way. It is enough to know that God loves me just as I am--gray hair, cellulite, and all! It doesn't matter whether we are dyed, tucked, plucked, tattooed, or simply natural, God loves us merely because He created us.

Contrary to what the world says, true beauty comes from within and is a reflection of a heart that belongs to God. Knowing that God has created us in His own image and that "People look at outward appearance but the LORD looks at the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7), isn't it more important that we focus on the condition of our hearts? After all, "Beauty is as beauty does."


Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment