Friday, June 7, 2013

Full of Hot Air

A couple of years ago I joined a handful of my fellow authors at a book fair in Nashville, where we discussed life, book publishing, and cars.  Yes, cars.  We talked about what our ideal "author car" was.  At the time I was happily driving the cute red sedan pictured below, which my son now claims as his.  I was quite content and comfortable driving that little car.  It was all I needed to haul kids, groceries, and books from here to there.

 
Now that my teen is older and in need of his own transportation, I am blessed to have inherited a roomier and more comfortable car to drive.  I must say, it is the hottest car I have ever driven. Literally. Yep, that's it.  A 1997 Buick LeSabre with NO air conditioning.  It doesn't get any hotter than that, especially here in the sweltering south!


Sometimes cars with non-working air conditioners aren't the only things full of hot air.  A lot of people are full of hot air, too.  Come on, admit it.  You know at least one person who is full of hot air, who says things that would make your hair as frizzy as mine is after a trip around town in my Buick.  People who are full of hot air often make us feel uncomfortable or irritated.  Sadly, there are those in the church who are full of hot air.  The Message renders this description in James 1:26-27:

Anyone who sets himself up as “religious” by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.

We are called to be doers of the Word and not hearers only (James 1:22).  Instead we are often guilty of being "all talk and no action."  I don't know about you but rather than be known as a person who is "full of hot air,"  I want to be known as a breath of fresh air to those God brings across my path. 



Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

1 comment:

  1. I could say that this is a nice blog but supposedly I'm looking for the blog of air conditioning Los Angeles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete