Thursday, May 16, 2013

This and That

Hello, friends.  It seems ages since I posted anything here.  Life has been one big blur for the past few months and I've done well just to survive.  But God has been so faithful through every up and down life has thrown at us.

I have missed writing...terribly.  Over the past months deadlines came and went and opportunities to write were lost because I had so little time to sit at my computer and organize my thoughts.  I gave up my weekly column on the Sisters in Cahoots blog when writer's block set in with a vengeance.  There were a few creative moments where poetic nonsense spilled forth in a late night blog or a kooky email to a co-worker, but I spent many months in a literary desert.  During the summer and fall months, however, I was privileged to collaborate on someone else's book and do a little editing for a local publisher, so although I didn't write anything of my own it occurs to me now that at least I did write something!

I have missed connecting with God on the deep level I did before my husband's layoff last summer, not that God went anywhere.  My mornings simply became filled with a morning routine that no longer afforded me the luxury of an hour-long quiet time!  Although I prayed and read my Bible daily, hanging onto the promises of God's grace and provision, I found the abbreviated time with God more routine than rich.  Between figuring out how to survive a financial reversal, adjust to new jobs, and manage the stress of raising teenagers in an out-of-control world, it seemed God sometimes got crowded out, though I never intended for that to happen.  Even though I never completely lost touch with God or my family, I lost touch with many of my friends and for that I am deeply sorry.

There were bright spots, though.  Following my husband's job loss nearly a year ago God provided for us in so many amazing ways.  After six months of working part-time in retail, Steve is now working full-time for M&F Bank and still moonlights at Target every chance he gets.  And even though I reluctantly (kicking and screaming!) re-entered the work force "for a season," God blessed me with new friends and a paycheck to help put us on the road to financial recovery.

 Joy's lacrosse season brought a whole new experience for our family.  This was the first year one of our kids played a sport, so I got totally caught up in the role of lacrosse mom and was elected President of our lacrosse club.  I even bought myself a stick so Joy and I could practice together.  She and I enjoyed spending time together.  Her out-of-town tournaments became mini-vacations from the stress and afforded some much needed grown-up girl bonding time. 

We recently were visited by a little pup we named Rascal, who came to us as a stray.  Although we would have loved to keep him, with an elderly poodle and cat to care for we couldn't afford another furry friend so we decided to take him to the animal shelter.  Although I knew it was the responsible thing to do, I cried buckets when the shelter volunteer handed me the clipboard containing the paperwork!  I stopped by the shelter just a couple of days later to offer them the puppy food I had bought for Rascal and was delighted to see him playing with another puppy in an outside pen.  He paused ever so briefly from his play as if to say, "It's okay.  I'm happy and am sure someone will adopt me soon." 

As the school year winds down and summer beckons us to a gentler pace, I am resigning from my day job to spend more time managing our household and to help Joy knock out her bucket list, which includes trips to Jerry's Sno Cones, a favorite Memphis hot spot for cool treats and great burgers.

My third book, Now This Is Living!, is expected to release sometime in July.  As I prepare for its release I will be looking for additional writing and speaking opportunities and developing a marketing strategy that I hope will sell some books.  I have learned that books certainly don't sell themselves and that marketing is the most labor-intensive part of being an author.


Although I am quitting my day job, I will still be working as the personal secretary to a godly woman who has been a spiritual mentor and become a beloved friend.  I still believe God is calling me into full-time ministry as a writer/speaker and administrative consultant and am eager to see where He takes me on this new adventure.  To leave the financial security of a good-paying job has required a leap of faith, but God knows the way I take (Job 23:10) and I am confident that He will do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).






Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment