Thursday, May 30, 2013

Guilty by Association

"There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known." (Luke 12:2)

I wish I had a dollar for every time I said to my teenager, "You are known by the company you keep," or "You are guilty by association." As parents we are often concerned about the friends with whom our children choose to associate, yet we ourselves are guilty of engaging in relationships or lifestyle choices that keep us from moving in the direction God wants us to go.

Is being "guilty by association" such a bad thing? Well, that all depends on the association. Someone who is struggling to break free from addiction should probably refrain from associating with those who indulge in addictive behaviors. A Christian who seeks to be effective in reaching others for Christ needs to recognize that willfully choosing to sin or putting ourselves in the role of "savior" can have disastrous results. In our efforts to turn a fellow sinner from the pit of sin and self-destruction we sometimes place ourselves in the position of compromising our convictions, often to our own detriment, instead of elevating others to the lifestyle God desires for His children.

How much better would our lives and impact on others be if we were guilty by association with Christ? What if instead of compromising our values we remained steadfast in our convictions? As a result of spending time with Him daily, praying and reading His Word, we would be known by our love rather than a hostile personality. Our faith in God's provision, for instance, and our commitment to give to those in need would certainly turn heads in times of economic uncertainty.

As a believer in Jesus Christ I want to be "guilty by association" with the One whose grace still amazes me, who laid down His life for me, and who daily lavishes His love on me. I want to become more like Him and less like me. I want others to desire the same for themselves because they see Christ in me, the Hope of Glory.


Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment