Sunday, April 7, 2013

When All Else Fails, Plant Flowers

The weather was gorgeous here this weekend.  Home improvement stores and garden centers were overrun with people sick of winter and ready to spend time in the great outdoors.  While everyone else was out shopping for landscape items or cuddled up with the Final Four tournament, I was out grocery shopping for the family.

What was supposed to have been a peaceful and productive Saturday turned out to be anything but that.  My best laid plans were sabotaged before my eyes ever saw the light of day.  Family squabbles and schedule changes turned a stressful morning into a day-long marathon of misery and there was nothing I could do except pray myself through it and ask others to do the same.  Some days are just like that, aren't they?

As I sauntered into Wal-Mart, my third stop on the grocery store tour, I decided I at least deserved to "look" at the plants in the garden center, even if I didn't have time to plant any.  I resisted the urge to buy Knockout roses, even though my landscaping plans include replacing some old azaleas in front of the garage.  As quickly as I placed them in my basket I removed the rose bushes, proud of my ability to resist the impulse to purchase them.  But then my eyes fell on a variety of violet (or pansy -- I'm not really sure which) that I just had to have.  The delicate purple and yellow blossoms were irresistible and would look so nice surrounding yellow tulips in my planter.  With each perennial that landed in my basket, the stress seemed to melt away and my spirit lifted.  With the sun setting I knew there would be no time for planting, but at least I had something pleasant to look forward to after church the next day!

Gardening has always been therapeutic for me.  At the end of a stressful day at work or a heated argument with a family member, I know that I can walk through my backyard, survey the beauty, and reconnect with the God who walks with me not only in my peaceful garden but also through every dark valley and stressful circumstance of life. 


Now that the flowers I purchased have been planted and sunflower and coneflower seeds have been sown, it is time to watch and wait for new life to begin, not only in my garden but in my heart.




Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment