Saturday, April 27, 2013

Opting In



"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you"  (John 15:16).

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word "options"?  My first thought was stock options and the desire to have a few of them to exercise so I can quit my day job, focus on ministry and writing, and perhaps replace an aging appliance or two.

But there are more common options like where to eat dinner, what color to dye our hair, or which outfit to wear to work tomorrow.  Life is all about options and our free will to make choices.  The problem is, the options we choose can have disastrous results and cause a lot of hurt to the people we love and even to ourselves.  When we opt to drink excessively then get behind the wheel of a car, we put ourselves and others at risk of bodily injury or death.  When we choose to use a credit card to purchase something we cannot afford, rather than defer our spending until we have saved enough cash, we risk financial reversal, bankruptcy, or foreclosure, or at the very least, unbearable and unnecessary stress. 

Not all options are bad, however.  As children of God, we can choose NOT to sin, NOT to worry, and NOT to fear.  We can choose to follow His Word, walk in His ways, and be strengthened by His joy as we spend time with God in prayer and stand on the promises of Scripture.

Of all the options we will face in this life, none is more important than choosing to receive Christ as Savior.  In fact, it is only by repenting of our sins, receiving Him as Savior, and living surrendered to His lordship that we will find lasting fulfillment in this life, and enjoy His abiding presence eternally in heaven.  Exercising stock options will never accomplish that.  Choosing the finest things money can buy -- even if we can afford them -- will not bring us peace.  Only Christ can do that for us.

Are you ready to exercise your option to become God's child by receiving Christ's free gift of salvation?  By opting in, you will inherit eternal riches, live in the home He is preparing for you in heaven, and enjoy the peace that surpasses all understanding while you remain on this earth.  Each of us is only guaranteed this moment.  Don't let the opportunity pass you by -- Opt in now!

Dear Jesus, my life has been all about making wrong choices, and I have made such a mess of things!  Help me to understand that my choice to sin deserves the death penalty, but that You chose to die in my place on the cross so I could live with You in heaven for all eternity.  Please forgive my sins and come live in my heart as Savior.  Today I choose You, Jesus.



Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment