Sunday, March 31, 2013

To Whom Shall We Go?

"Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life" (John 6:68).
 
 
Every now and then I find myself missing an old friend with whom I had much in common, especially the joy of long conversations over steaming cups of coffee.  When life was hard we could somehow manage to help each other find hope by encouraging one another through the tough times.  On days when my heart is heavy over circumstances that I cannot change, I miss that friend and the freedom to just be myself with one who cares for me.
 
Have you ever had a friend like that, one you could text or call to say, "Pray for me.  I really need your prayers?"  Although time and circumstances have changed our friendship and I no longer feel free to call, there is one friend I know I can always count on, especially on days when I really need someone who loves me for me and understands exactly what I am feeling.  That friend is Jesus. 
 
Our Sunday school teacher was teaching out of the sixth chapter of John on Easter morning when he camped out on the verse above.  After performing many miracles, Jesus was talking to some of His disciples, telling them that He was the Bread of Life and saying to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you" (John 6:53).  Some of His disciples, who could not accept His hard teachings, turned away from Him and went their own way.  When He asked the Twelve, “You do not want to leave too, do you?" (v. 67), Simon Peter replied, "Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life" (v.68).
 
Why is it so difficult to turn to Jesus when we know that He truly does have the answers we are looking for?  Why do we yearn for the wisdom of men, or at least their consolation, when they cannot fully understand us because they do not know us as He does?  While it is true that God created us to be in relationships with one another and ordained friendships, He desires above all else that our affections are undivided and our hearts are fully yielded to Him.
 
As much as I have wanted to pick up the phone and call my friend, I know that ultimately he cannot solve my dilemma.  Only Jesus can.  And nothing -- not time, circumstances, family, or distance -- will ever separate me from the love of Christ.  Why would I want to go to anyone else besides the One who is called Faithful and True?
 
 




Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment