Saturday, March 23, 2013

Running Around in Circles*

“Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you” (Isaiah 46:4).

On a recent walk around the neighborhood, I came across this cute little dog named Abbey. I found her running around in circles in a yard on a busy street. When it became obvious that she didn’t belong to the homeowner who lived there, I decided to call the number on her ID tag. Unfortunately, her owner was not at home so I scooped Abbey up in my arms and carried her home with me so she would be safe until her owner came home from work.

Don’t we all have days when we feel like all we do is run in circles? Life is just so busy! What do you do when the pace is frantic and you need a break?

Those of us who have dogs probably agree on one thing: there are just some days we would rather be a dog, carefree and curled up in the lap of our master. While we will probably never have a carefree day this side of heaven, we can climb up in the lap of our Abba Father who loves us so completely. The God who made us, carries and sustains us, rescues us when we are in danger, and loves us more than we will ever be able to comprehend.

You can’t switch places with your dog, but you can climb up in the lap of your Master, figuratively speaking. Praise is the vehicle that ushers you into His presence. Bible reading and prayer are the spiritual disciplines that transform your relationship with Him into one of intimate friendship and divine companionship. If you will walk beside your Master every day, running around in circles might well become a thing of your past.
 
*from Now This Is Living! Devotions to Encourage a Closer Walk with God, coming Spring 2013

Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

 

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment