Friday, March 1, 2013

Knowing When to Quit

As I approached the end of a very long day and a stressful week my body began telling me that it was time to quit and go to bed.  With a busy weekend ahead of me I knew that rest is what my body needed in order to make the most of my time and opportunities, yet my mind wanted to stay engaged in the work I was doing when I should have been in bed.

I think that sometimes we are wise to quit.  Not give up, necessarily, but quit.  Our bodies and minds grow weary from the business of simply living every day.  When we fail to recharge them, they begin to fail us.  We become too tired to think clearly or function efficiently or carry on a civil conversation with our loved ones.

Even though we need to give up on occasion and simply rest, one thing that we need to keep in mind is that as Christians we should "not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" (Galatians 6:9).  How can we do good if we don't take adequate time to rest?  Doing good takes more than just energy, though.  It takes discovering God's will and purpose for our lives by spending time with Him in prayer and reading His Word.  It takes waiting upon the Lord for guidance and direction.

"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint" (Isaiah 40:31, NKJV).


Copyright © 2013 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment