Sunday, November 18, 2012

Holy Exhaustion

As I was posting a comment on Facebook the other day I found myself typing the words, "holy exhaustion."  There have been nights when I have laid my head on the pillow satisfied that I have given my all, lived to the fullest, and done my very best.  Days like that don't come often but they do come.  What would it take to make each day one that ends in holy exhaustion?

Sometimes exhaustion comes not from what we do, but from agonizing over what we don't do in a given day.  More often than not, my exhaustion is of that kind and makes for a very restless night's sleep.  Giving up at the end of the day and going to bed at a decent hour are nearly impossible when I have wasted time.  Anxiety and guilt creep in, stealing my slumber and leaving me filled with regret.

How can we ensure that we have a day that ends in holy exhaustion rather than anxiety and sleeplessness?  I'm not sure we can, but we can certainly try by first committing our day to God.  Even more than my first cup of coffee in the morning, I crave my time alone with God.  Having the opportunity to know more of His character and gain some sense of direction by reading His Word are critical, no matter how my goes.  If I start the day off with God, I can know as surely as autumn follows summer that God will be with no matter the direction I take. 

It also helps to have a surrendered plan.  To do all things decently and in order, we must make a plan or to do list then attempt to work through the items on the list, knowing that ultimately God is in control.  If He chooses to divinely interrupt my plans, I know that it's because He has a higher agenda than mine.  I don't know about you, but when I resist God I have to work even harder to do what is needed to accomplish His purposes.  It is far better to surrender any plans I do make and let Him have His way with my schedule and priorities.

Finally, dump the guilt!  There is always going to be a voice accusing you of mismanaging your time or failing to achieve an important goal.  If you are sensitive to the Spirit of the Lord, then you will know when it is Him instructing you or Satan accusing you.  You will also know that it is okay to step back and relax a little, especially with friends and loved ones, and let the toilets wait until tomorrow!

Pray for wisdom to manage your time well, energy to accomplish the important things, and the discernment to know when it is time to abandon your agenda and embrace God's.  At the end of the day you will find there is no greater joy or more effective sedative than the holy exhaustion that comes from being in the center of God's will and abandoning your agenda for His glory.





Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment