Saturday, October 27, 2012

Only Circumstances

Our suffering is light and temporary and is producing for us an eternal glory that is greater than anything we can imagine. (2 Corinthians 4:17, God's Word Translation)
 
After getting a good night's sleep it was a blessing to wake up to a crisp and sunny fall morning.  The freshness of the air after yesterday's rain was a reminder to me that we are made clean by the blood of Christ, who two thousand years ago died on a cross to save us from our sins, but loves us in the here and now.

In the middle of my quiet time this morning, thoughts of my husband's "underemployment" and our desperate prayers that God will soon open a door to full time employment replaced the peace I had felt while sitting in God's presence.  Not wanting to go down the path of self-pity again, as I had so many times before, I closed my eyes and prayed for a word that would restore my peace and refresh my faith.  Always gracious to give me more than I ask for, God gave me two words:  "only circumstances." 

As I meditated on those words I realized just how temporary all my problems are and how insignificant when compared to the matchless glory that will be revealed to me, in me, and through me.  We may be struggling to pay our bills in this season of financial lack, but we have stored up for ourselves "treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal" (Matthew 6:20, NIV).

No matter how difficult your circumstances might be -- and believe me, I in no way mean to minimize anyone's suffering -- just know that they are "only circumstances" that are part of your life on this earth, circumstances that God will use to encourage others and glorify Himself.  If you are a believer, you already have the assurance that you will spend eternity in heaven where there is no sorrow, pain, tears, or death (Revelation 21:4).  As for my husband and me, we will not lack anything because we will stand in the presence of our All-in-All for all eternity.




Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment