Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Power of Praise

When my husband lost his job and medical benefits I was unable to have my son's drug prescription filled due to the out-of-pocket expense.  After six weeks without his medication, I was more than eager to take the pharmacy benefits card issued by our state in behalf of my son to the pharmacy to have his prescription filled.  When the pharmacy clerk told me that his insurance would likely not cover the $200 cost of his medication and offered to check on it, I left her the card and went home praying once more for God's provision for this specific need.  Tears stung my eyes as I left the store, but before a tear could trickle down my cheek I immediately began to thank God for all the ways he had provided for our needs in the two months since my husband lost his job.  I knew in my heart that he could certainly work things out in my son's favor and called my son to ask him to pray.

A little more than two hours later I walked back into the pharmacy to see if the prescription was covered by the state prescription plan and to find out what my co-pay might be.  To my utter delight the clerk advised me that the medication was indeed covered and that there would be no cost to me!  Greatly relieved and taking advantage of an open door, I was able to share with her that this was an answer to prayer and tell her of the many ways God has provided for us over the past several weeks.  I was able to give a reason for the hope that I have (1 Peter 3:15).

When I left the pharmacy earlier that afternoon, I could have chosen to despair over the possibility that insurance might not cover the cost of my son's medication.  But instead I chose to praise God for his past blessings, his promise to provide, and his faithfulness day-by-day. 

Praise is a powerful resource we sometimes forget we have at our disposal.  God inhabits the praises of his people and is faithful to the promises of his Word.  The next time you are worried about something, try praising God instead. 

"Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back in praise.
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say, 'Blessed be the Name of the Lord.'"
(lyrics by Matt and Beth Redman)






Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment