Friday, August 10, 2012

Pay Attention

During my devotional time the following sentences written by Marvin Williams in the August 10, 2012 reading from Our Daily Bread really grabbed and convicted my heart:  "His loving attention changed Zacchaeus' life.  He repented and offered restitution for those he had defrauded.  Salvation had come to his house."  Mr. Williams' statement about the love of Jesus prompted me to ask myself, Do the words I speak and the interest I show in others change their lives for the better and point them to Jesus, or do they do just the opposite?

One of the things I sorely lack is a gentle spirit, particularly when it comes to my family.  I have a difficult time accepting them in spite of their faults or overlooking the things they neglect to do, especially if I am tired or feel like I am shouldering the majority of responsibility on a day-to-day basis.  I find it difficult to draw the line between tolerance and perfection, and lean very hard on those who do not share my philosophy about housekeeping and clutter.  Once I start down the path of expressing my concerns or point of view I tend to pass the point of no return, eventually alienating everyone in my path. 

I don't often ask the question, "What would Jesus do?" because I know I won't like the answer.  I know he wouldn't act the way I sometimes do.  "Uptight" probably was not a word in his vocabulary.

Why is it so hard simply to hold my tongue and pray rather than lash out at those I love?  Why can't I let go of the little things that annoy me and simply be thankful for the wonderful family I have, even if they don't always pick up after themselves or act the way I think they should? 

Sometimes our words and attitudes can be the very thing that gets between those we love and the God who loves them even more.  Let us resolve to pay attention to what we say and how we act toward those closest to us.  Let not familiarity breed contempt, but rather let our times of testing be God's opportunity to show how big he really is!  It doesn't matter if my house looks like Martha Stewart lives here, but it does matter that the hearts of those I love most become Christ's home for all eternity.





Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment