Thursday, August 16, 2012

As Hard As I Try

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:9)


As hard as I try, I often fail to accomplish everything I set out to do in a day's time.  You see, sometimes God allows life's little curve balls to test me and redirect me to something a little grander than I might have planned. 

Sometimes the distractions we face are meant to strengthen our faith muscles or produce in us the patience and determination we need to achieve our goals even though the odds seem stacked against us.  And sometimes, those detours are for our protection from unseen dangers we might not otherwise avoid.

First thing this morning, I was confronted with a failing battery in my son's car and a husband whose shoulder injury had him driving to work with an ice pack so he could work in spite of the pain he felt.  Knowing I would have to adjust my morning to take my son to work and have a new battery installed so he wouldn't be stranded on the road, I simply gave thanks that I could and that there was money in the bank to cover the cost of the battery.  Before my son needed to leave for work, my husband came back through the door saying that his shift had been cut from the schedule.  Relieved that my husband would be able to rest his shoulder and attend to the battery issue, I resumed what I was doing. 

I have learned to be flexible, to thank God for his divine appointments, and to realize that as hard as I try to control my time and money, they will never be my own.  It all belongs to him.  As long as I keep that in mind and give God the freedom to do as he wishes with that which belongs to him, including me, then he will work everything out for my good.

If you are like me and you sometimes feel frustrated that things just aren't getting done, take a few minutes at the end of your day to think about all that happened.  Whose life did you touch because of a schedule change or an unanticipated interruption?  What harm might you have escaped because God's plans required a change in yours?  While we need to make plans, set goals, and go after our dreams, we also need to know that the harder we try to control our time, resources, and circumstances, the less God will be able to accomplish in and through us for his glory.

My best days are the ones I surrender to God from the outset.  When I remember that my purpose is to live a life that honors and glorifies him, then it doesn't matter if my plans are trumped by his.  His ways are higher than my ways and he will never leave me nor forsake me.





Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

***************************

Thank you for visiting my blog! You are encouraged to post a comment and share this blog with a friend. By sharing, you are helping to encourage others with the truth of God's Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment