Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Fear Factor

A Christian’s life is supposed to be one of triumph and victory over the challenges and perils of living in a fallen world, right?  But many of us live in fear of those things we cannot control, such as our finances, illness, and the loss of those people and things we hold dear.  Many of us fear rejection, loneliness, and insignificance.  What happened to our victory in Jesus?  When did we become such spiritual wimps that we are no longer a match for the enemy who seeks to steal, kill, and destroy every evidence of Christ in us, the hope of glory?  Have we forgotten that we serve a God that is bigger than our enemy, is well able to handle every challenge we face, and who is the same yesterday, today, and forever? 

We have all seen our share of trouble and many of us have at one time or another wandered away from our spiritual roots in Christ.  Most of us have experienced the protective and provisional covering of God’s grace and mercy, often being spared the full consequences that our sinful actions deserved.  Despite God’s abundant grace and favor toward a loved one, I have recently found myself living with the crippling fear that he might not recognize God’s grace for what it is and slip back into the self-destructive habits from which I have prayed fervently for God to deliver him.  Even worse, I have voiced my distrust, focusing on his previous mistakes instead of the promise that God has a good plan and purpose for his life (Jeremiah 29:11).  When I suffered a mild anxiety attack because of these things I began to pray for God to reveal to me the real reason for my fear.  The answer I received was not what I expected but it made total sense and put me at ease for the first time in many months. 

God revealed to me that my fears, which really have no merit and certainly are not from him, are in fact evidence of my lack of faith in him to keep the promises he has given us in his Word. To hear God say, "It's not that you don't trust so-and-so, but rather that you don't trust Me," was very convicting. 

What is it that you fear today?   Unemployment, financial ruin, catastrophic illness, or the downward path that a loved one has chosen?  Remember, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging” (Psalm 46:1-3, NIV).  Even though your life may feel like it is spinning out of control, God is still in control and he will never leave you or forsake you (Joshua 1:5).



Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment