Monday, April 30, 2012

Fetching Toilet Paper

Today's Scripture:  Proverbs 31:4-31

Last week as I made yet another run to the other bathroom for a couple of rolls of toilet paper so my husband would have something to work with (how's that for putting it delicately?), it occurred to me that I am the only one in my family who knows where the spare rolls of toilet paper are stored and how to put a new roll on the spool next to the toilet, or so it seems.  What is up with that? 

My job description as the alpha female says nothing about fetching toilet paper, cleaning up dog puke, or making sure that all the doors are securely locked at bedtime, yet somehow those duties, too, have defaulted to me.  Even now as I look around my house and ponder all that I will do today -- laundry, dishes, vacuuming, paying bills -- before it is time to shift into carpool driver mode, I can't help but smile and give thanks that while my husband wears the pants and earns the money that pays the bills, I am blessed to have a God-given, God-honored job with such incredible responsibility.  I mean really, who knew that fetching toilet paper could bring a woman such fulfillment?

All sarcasm aside, I truly am thankful to be a stay-at-home mom even though the pay stinks.  This time last year I was employed as a well-paid tech support person in a nice office with great co-workers but there was one drawback:  my kids went through the summer largely unsupervised and I missed some golden opportunities just to spend time with them while they were out of school.  That is not the case this year.  Although I'd like to say I am a "work-at-home" mom, the reality is my consulting income is not what I'd like for it to be.  But God continues to meet our needs somehow, and I am looking forward to spending time with my kids and doing the things that really matter to me and to them.

If I had a dollar for every roll of toilet paper I have fetched in my twenty-five years of marriage, I could have left that cushy job a long time ago.  In God's economy, though, the intrinsic rewards of being home to watch my children grow up will pay dividends that no IRA or stock options can!



Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

1 comment:

  1. Dee Dee, this is so funny! I've been reading an organizational book and that's one of the questions the author asks, "Does your family know where the spare toilet paper is?"

    God give us strength for all we face today!

    ReplyDelete