Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Can I Really Trust God?


Since surrendering my life to God many years ago, he has allowed me to experience some difficulties that I would never wish on anyone.  As hard as my challenges have been, I have witnessed others going through even worse trials of their own.  Often I have wondered, Where is God in all of this? Can I really trust him to handle my problems?

I would like to say that I am a recovering control freak, but in all honesty I still struggle with the addiction and am far from healed.  There is something terribly frightening in relinquishing control of my life to someone I cannot see or touch. As my eyes see the red ink on my balance sheet I know my heart should be trusting in the one who promises to supply all my needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus, whose blood was shed for me.  Trusting God is an issue we all face to some degree or other.  Fortunately for me, it gets easier with each passing day because God continues to demonstrate his faithfulness and fulfill his promises. 

Finances aside, many Christians are living below the spiritual poverty line, resting in the assurance of their salvation with little hope of ever living the abundant life that God promises those who abide in him.  Abundance is not quantified by the amount of money we have in the bank or the number of bedrooms or cars we possess, but rather by the quality of our relationship with Christ.  As we mature in our walk with him and allow him access to more and more areas of our lives, we begin to understand that the less control we try to wield over our lives, the more we can enjoy the peace he bestows as we rest in his presence and trust in his provision.  It is only when we fully surrender everything, trusting God to keep his promises, that we ever experience the thrill of abundant living.

In the ninth chapter of Mark we read the story of a boy whose father approached Jesus to ask healing for his demon-possessed son.  After a brief discourse with Jesus, the man said to Jesus, “But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us” (v. 22b) Jesus replied, “If you can?  Everything is possible for him who believes” (v. 23).  “Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief’” (v.24)!  Jesus, of course, rebuked the spirit and healed the boy, telling the disciples that “this kind can come out only by prayer” (v29).

How often do we try to solve our own problems without ever consulting God?  Do we fail to pray because we don’t honestly believe we can trust him to come through for us or we are afraid his answer will be “no”?  What if instead of trying to control every aspect of our lives in our own strength, we actually relied on God’s strength and provision and dared to ask him to work all things together for our good?

If you find yourself doubting God’s ability to come through for you or meet your needs, take a good look at your relationship with him and ask yourself if there are any areas of your life that you have not yet surrendered to him.  If you are like me, odds are there are some things you need to set right with him and relinquish to his control.

The bottom line is this:  God loves you so much that he has already done his best for you by sending his only Son to die on the cross for your sins.  If God loves you that much, surely you can trust him with everything else!


Copyright © 2012 by Dee Dee Wike. All rights reserved. www.deedeewike.com

No comments:

Post a Comment