Friday, March 23, 2012

Would Someone Please Turn on the Light?

The winding stretch of two-lane road I traveled was shrouded by a heavy cloak of darkness. As the rain beat against the windshield I found myself praying for just a little illumination to help me see the road before me and help me navigate the treacherous curves more safely.  But the darkness was so thick that nothing could penetrate it except the headlights of oncoming traffic, which were more irritating than illuminating.

As I continued my drive in the darkness of the early morning, I thanked God for the light of his Word, "a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" (Psalm 119:105).  How many times through the years have I looked to his Word for answers and hope when the challenges of life were overwhelming or when I needed direction?  How many times has his Word been my shelter through the storms of life and protected me from the danger of self-destructive behavior because I have chosen to walk in his ways rather than my own? 

For people who don't know Jesus, darkness is a way of life.  But he came as the Light of the world to dispel the darkness, bring hope to the hopeless, and salvation to sinners like you and me.  He came "to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah:  the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned" (Matthew 4:14, 16). 





This morning as I witnessed a beautiful sunrise on the way home, I couldn't help but rejoice that I have seen the Light.  Have you?  Do you know the One who calls you out of darkness into his marvelous light (1 Peter 2:9)?  If not, you can know him simply by confessing your sins and asking him to forgive you and live in your heart.  Easter is coming, Jesus has risen, and he longs to have a personal relationship with you!  Open your heart to him today and he will fill it with his everlasting love, true fulfillment, and the peace that surpasses all understanding.

1 comment: